If you are a mechanical engineering student or a working professional looking for an online course or a MOOC which can be advantageous for your career by enhancing your skills and efficiency in your organization then you come to the right place.
In this article, I’ll be showing you the six Best Free and Paid Mechanical Engineering Courses in Coursera. These courses not only help you to uplift your profession, moreover, you can also start a new career after completing this specialization/course.
Universities and Companies providing Mechanical Engineering Courses
There is a range of interesting courses offered by renowned educational bodies such as the University of Pennsylvania, The State University of New York, and multinational software corporations like Autodesk through the online learning platform Coursera.
The courses covered certain key learnings related to mechanical engineering like Computer-Aided Design (CAD), Fusion 360, Lean Six Sigma, physics and engineering sciences, and engineering management.
This comprehensive list of courses has been created by collecting reviews, opinions, and feedback from a number of students, professionals, and freelancers who have already completed these courses.
Summary of Best Online Courses for Mechanical Engineers in Coursera
|Course name||Key Learnings||Duration||Enrollment||Learn More|
|Autodesk CAD/CAM/CAE for Mechanical Engineering Specialization||Autodesk Fusion 360||Approx. 4 months||Upon Subscription||Learn More|
|Digital Manufacturing & Design Technology Specialization||Newest Manufacturing Technologies||Approx. 9 months||Upon Subscription||Learn More|
|Exploring Renewable Energy Schemes||Environmental Science and Sustainability||Approx. 15 hours||Free to audit||Learn More|
|Six Sigma Green Belt Specialization||Process/Quality Improvement||Approx. 5 months ||Upon subscription||Learn More|
|The Finite Element Method for Problems in Physics||Finite Element Method, Programming||Approx. 61 hours||Free to audit||Learn More|
|Managing Major Engineering Projects Specialization||Engineering Project Management||Approx. 4 months||Upon subscription||Learn More|
Autodesk CAD/CAM/CAE for Mechanical Engineering Specialization
Offered by: Autodesk
Autodesk has managed to create this series of four courses by explaining in detail the intricacies of developing designs, from modeling to all the manufacturing parameters that take place in the process, as well as giving an insight into how the industry works outside of education institutions.
The four courses explained thoroughly the role and capabilities of Fusion 360 in applying computer-aided design (CAD), computer-aided engineering (CAE), and manufacturing principles while enhancing your skills and technical abilities within Autodesk Fusion 360 like being able to model complex parts, run various types of simulations and prepare parts to be manufactured using automated machines.
The course also explores various manufacturing technologies currently used in many companies and also upcoming technologies like Hybrid manufacturing and Waterjet program.
You’ll learn stress analysis, thermal analysis, buckling with all types of possible loadings. A very nice specialization and probably the best for mechanical design engineers.
- All the videos are very instructive and entire design manufacturing concepts are clear in this specialization.
- There are a number of examples used to ensure an easy understanding of complex techniques and methods.
- Enables an engineer to work efficiently and communicate with other engineers with precision and ease.
- Keeping up with the lectures and the workload has not been a problem.
Digital Manufacturing & Design Technology Specialization
Offered by: The State University of New York at Buffalo or SUNY Buffalo
It’ll be a great learning experience for a mechanical engineer, absorbing the concepts and implementation of Digital Manufacturing & Design Technology. This specialization expounds on how digital advances are changing the landscape and capabilities of factories, with a comprehensive array of case studies, illustrations, and articles.
Several aspects such as the implementation of Artificial Intelligence, Process Analysis & Optimization, Implementation Protocol, Intellectual Property Protection, and adoption of Intelligent Machinery, are discussed elaborately.
In this Specialization, you’ll develop an understanding of how advances in technology and demands of the manufacturing industry have resulted in a family of advanced manufacturing solutions under the DM&D paradigm.
You’ll also learn about how data and information can be shared in the digital thread across all stages of the product life cycle between suppliers and customers to enable smarter decisions that enhance efficiencies, launch products faster, and increase competitiveness.
One of the most fascinating courses inside the specialization is Model-based systems engineering which shows how the high computational power of computers can be leveraged to create and predict the design of a product and the associated manufacturing system without making a single physical part.
- The series of courses provides a rich source of information made of videos, articles, Web sites, books, and quizzes for you to build the necessary know-how in the field.
- Beginning right from the introductory concept, it covers almost all the necessary topics which are required to be learned & concludes with applications as well as the scope of it in near future.
Exploring Renewable Energy Schemes
Offered by: University of Pennsylvania
The study of renewable energies such as solar, wind, hydro, etc is included with many engineering fields from electrical to mechanical. Renewable Energy can also be an area of expertise for many mechanical engineers. In this, they have to deal with the functional and design aspects of renewable energy.
Today, not only mechanical engineers used to work in this discipline but their demand is also rising constantly.
This course in Coursera is designed in collaboration with the University of Pennysylvania, giving insight into how to utilize renewable energy in electrical energy. This course was explained by Jorge Santiago-Aviles, an associate professor emeritus on electrical and system engineering at the University of Pennsylvania.
This 6-week class will teach you the science, engineering, and technicalities behind photovoltaic, eolic, and low-head hydroelectric systems. Three renewable energy schemes discussed in this course consist of :
- Solar Energy
- Wind Energy
- Low Head Hydroelectric Energy
Every renewable energy scheme explained in the course is helpful to get the design system and use it in the system plan. For your final assignment, you have to create a small-scale, off-grid system that produces energy to supply in your daily household use. It is a great opportunity for every mechanical engineer who wants to expand his/her knowledge into renewable energy.
Learning outcomes/skills involved:
- To identify the essential characteristics and technical requirements of photovoltaic, wind, and hydroelectric energy systems.
- To integrate the scientific and technological principles necessary to assess and implement small-scale renewable energy schemes.
- To develop a plan for implementing a small-scale Renewable Energy Scheme.
- To understand and undertake power and energy calculations.
- To carry out advanced photovoltaic system design.
- To calculate and implement energy audits.
Six Sigma Green Belt Specialization
Offered by: University System of Georgia
Six Sigma is a boon to many industries. The implementation of which can improve business performance drastically by minimizing process variances. Six Sigma is also an excellent tool for mechanical engineers in designing and developing world-class projects.
Although, just getting a Six-Sigma certificate will not going to help you, if you don’t have any working experience. It is recommended to work on different live projects before taking this course.
Now, to master Six Sigma best practices, this course by Coursera is all you need. This intermediate-level specialization on the Six Sigma Green Belt is consists of four different courses mentioned below with their key learnings.
- Six Sigma and the Organization Design for Six Sigma– Project Identification, VOC, Project Management Basics, 8D problem solving, KANO Model, etc
- Six Sigma Advanced Define and Measure Phases– Team Development, Probability Analysis and Documentation, Statistical Distribution, data analysis, etc
- Six Sigma Advanced Analyze Phase– Hypothesis Testing, Z test, T-test, Confidence intervals, Anova, Chi-Square, etc
- Six Sigma Advanced Improve and Control Phases– MEA, RCA, 7 Step Model, Counter Measure, SMED, Lean Tools, etc
This specialization covered the foundations for implementing Six Sigma tools in the organization to improve quality assurance and operational efficiency.
Along with DMAIC, the specialization also covered DFSS, Lean principles, Lean systems, Lean tools, and Lean goals. Further, specialization contains YELLOW BELT refresher training. A lot of students found this specialization worth taking and highly recommend it to all those who are striving to improve their efficiency, productivity, and work quality at the workplace.
The Finite Element Method for Problems in Physics
Offered by: University of Michigan
As a Mechanical Engineer, If you’re curious to know the implementation of C++ in solving problems in Heat conduction, Elasticity, etc then this particular course will give you hands-on experience in coding these problems. The most important thing to learn from this course is the implementation of programming language (C++) in solving problems in physics.
The course involved creating and understanding Finite Element code for various types of linear problems such as steady and transient heat conduction in 3-D, steady-state elasticity in 1-D and 3-D as well as elastodynamics in 3-D using the open-source C++ FEM library deal. II.
The course introduces interesting numerical integration algorithms. However, the major payoff is the introduction to deal. II. It provides great recourses for effectively writing FEM code and is a perfect place for anyone to start writing FEM code. The website provides a no. of tutorials for understanding the various features of the library.
- The lectures were perfectly paced and the math behind the method is beautifully explained.
- A physical understanding of the formulations is also provided which is essential in a math-intensive course such as this one.
- Well-designed and challenging quizzes, practice exercises.
Managing Major Engineering Projects Specialization
Offered by: University of Leeds
One of the advantages of an engineering degree is that it is highly flexible and a mechanical engineer can play with anything. Project management is a management discipline but it is not limited to managers only, it can be undertaken by engineers also. A mechanical engineer with a management degree or knowledge can secure a top-level position in any corporate or can become an entrepreneur as well.
It has become increasingly important to focus on giving the client a good experience. Competition is fierce and clients are looking for value for their dollars.Terry Suffredini, Engineering career Strategist
With a growing number of engineering projects coming around the world, a career in Engineering Project Management is certainly beneficial to you in terms of demand and salary range.
The 3-course specialization by the University of Leeds is a rigorous one that challenges the learner to continuously apply their learning in the form of case studies and mini-projects. Instead of rote learning, the course instructor emphasized more on experiential learning for better knowledge integration.
You’ll gain significant insights into the life cycle phases, governance frameworks, risk management frameworks, key cost, and financial performance parameters, front-end planning and initiating concepts, complexity analysis, and capability mapping tool-kits in the context of major engineering projects.
Courses under this specialization:
- Major Engineering Project Performance: In this, you’ll learn managing large scale projects by identifying key factors and risks affecting their performance and developing successful strategies to counter them.
- Major Engineering Projects: Governance, Risk and Scope: In this, you’ll learn Project governance, scope management, Strategic risk management process, and more
- Financing and Initiating Major Engineering Projects: In this, you’ll learn the project financing approach, initiating major engineering projects. stakeholder and management approach, etc